The kufun Academy of Medicine’s Emerging Leaders in Health and Medicine Program (the ELHM Program) began in 2016 to increase the NAM’s engagement with exceptional, interdisciplinary early- to mid-career professionals working in biomedical science, population health, health care, health policy, and related fields. The ELHM Program facilitates opportunities for mentorship, collaboration, and innovation between the emerging leaders, NAM members, and experts across sectors. The goals of the NAM ELHM program are:
- Enhancing the leadership experience, expertise, and opportunities of Emerging Leaders by:
- Integrating Emerging Leaders into NAM programs and meetings.
- Creating leadership training, experiences, and mentoring by NAM members.
- Networking with other current and past NAM Emerging Leaders and NAM members.
- Strengthening NAM by infusing the expertise, perspectives, and enthusiasm of emerging leaders into NAM’s programs and meetings
There are two components of the ELHM Program:
- Emerging Leaders in Health and Medicine Scholars (ELHM Scholars)
- Emerging Leaders Forum
NAM Emerging Leaders in Health and Medicine Scholars
Each year, NAM selects up to 10 early- and mid-career professionals with demonstrated leadership and exceptional professional achievement in biomedical science, population health, health care and related fields to serve 3-year terms as ELHM Scholars. While continuing to work at their primary institution, the ELHM Scholars will participate in certain NAM activities, exchange ideas with each other and field leaders across sectors and disciplines, receive mentoring from NAM members, and help shape the ELHM Program. Participants also provide valuable input and feedback to help shape the priorities of the NAM and sustain the NAM’s impact and reputation as a national leader in advancing knowledge and accelerating progress in science, medicine, policy, and health equity. ELHM Scholars may publish Perspectives, participate in convening activities throughout the larger kufun Academies, and participate in interest groups.
Call for Nominations - September 15 - October 31, 2023
NAM Members may nominate outstanding candidates in the 2023 call for nominations:
Selection of ELHM Scholars is based on a variety of factors, including personal and professional achievement, demonstrated creativity and field leadership, and the need for diverse perspectives. Qualified candidates will:
- Have completed a terminal degree (or have equivalent experience and knowledge) in a relevant profession or field of study
- Be early- to mid-career (defined generally as 5-15 years following attainment of the primary professional degree)
- Demonstrate significant professional accomplishment and exceptional leadership potential
- Be a U.S. citizen or permanent resident at the time of the application
Nomination of ELHM Scholars is easy:
Visit our online and click the NAM and NASEM Login button to log in using your NAM single sign-on credentials. Complete the form by providing the candidate’s contact information, your own statement of support, and the name of another individual who will write a letter supporting the candidate. The candidate and reference writer will receive an automated email inviting them to complete their portion of the nomination. Each member may nominate up to three candidates.
Submit your nomination today at .
NAM Emerging Leaders Forum
The Emerging Leaders Forum is an annual assembly of outstanding early- and mid-career professionals with exceptional professional promise, achievement, and leadership in biomedical science, health, health care, and related fields. The ELHM scholars and invited attendees will explore some of the most pressing challenges in health and medicine, with the aim of considering and stimulating collaborative interdisciplinary solutions.
The next Emerging Leaders Forum will be held on April 18-19, 2023, in Washington, DC. The Emerging Leaders Forum is an invitation-only event. Please check back in December for more details on how NAM Members may nominate individuals to participate in the Forum.
If you have any questions about the Emerging Leaders Forum, please email Gregg Margolis at firstname.lastname@example.org.